Subscribe to my free monthly newsletter for writing and publishing advice: Meyer Literary.
I work freelance as a structural and story editor, mainly on fiction. I edit for publishers around the world, but individuals can also book me and learn about my services here.
My CAPSULE COURSE on creating memorable characters is available now.
This package will teach you how to create compelling characters.
It is structured in the following way:
Video component (with transcript)
* Introduction to characterisation, character arcs, point of view, central versus supporting characters, protagonists and antagonists.
* 15 ways to create well-rounded characters your reader will be invested in and who will carry your story and common pitfalls/what not to do.
Written and audio component
* Further investigations: How the character arc relates to plot, how characters interact with themes, how character integrates with your story as a whole. Tips on character physicality, dialogue, and more.
* Examples and case studies (from both literary and genre fiction).
* Prompts and activities.
* Comprehensive resource list for further reading.
* Original interviews with contemporary authors Emma Viskic and Mirandi Riwoe on how they created their unforgettable characters.
ONLINE COURSE for Kill Your Darlings: How to Write Science Fiction, Fantastical and Supernatural Novels
Join acclaimed author and publisher Angela Meyer in this unique online writing course all about long-form speculative fiction.
All fiction ‘speculates’, but the genres explored in this course – the science fictional, the fantastical and the supernatural – go beyond current or concrete reality. From Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Handmaid’s Tale through to recent Australian novels such as Terra Nullius, speculative fiction can be a powerful genre for examining big ideas.
This course encourages students to figure out what they would like to speculate on, and suggests avenues and techniques for exploring these ideas. We study world-building, creating genuine characters, layering in themes, and generating compelling plots free of holes. We examine speculative novels in a range of forms and literary styles so students may find their own voice, their own approach. Beyond the course, students will feel inspired, excited and confident to create their own speculative works.
The course is designed to take you 6-8 hours to complete, but can be accomplished in short stages, or at your convenience.
For more information, including how to sign up for this course, please click here.