Meyer Literary is seeking EOIs for a casual position as editorial and business assistant, paying $50AUD per hour.
Meyer Literary is my growing story and content services business. I provide content strategy, writing and editing services for a range of clients – companies, community organisations, local council, universities, publishers and individuals.
This is a flexible, remote, work-from-home position that will vary in hours per month. For the first three months I anticipate this will be between two and twelve hours per month, but this may grow. It’s an as-needed position where I will assign tasks on the go, with reasonable deadlines. These will likely include:
- Researching, collating information, and assisting with copy writing and editing tasks on corporate or organisational projects on which I am the content lead or content strategist and my contract specifies that I can work with a team.
- Assisting with marketing and outreach for the business, which may include audience research, creating Google or Facebook ads, drafting social media posts, or sending emails.
- Some marketing of my books and online courses.
- Assisting with my current and possible future newsletters.
- Helping with research for my own writing projects.
- Helping with research or collation of teaching materials for the courses and workshops I run.
- Updating online profiles such as author pages on various websites, cleaning up blog backlog, posting previously published articles to new outlets (i.e. Medium), and random tasks along these lines.
And may also include:
- Help with bringing new business ideas to fruition (managing web presence setup, writing PR and outreach materials, setting up communication systems such as Slack channels or email lists).
- Replying to enquiries for my services with rates and timelines, and sending out and filing contracts and invoices.
- Help with updating my calendar, setting up meetings, or other scheduling tasks.
It’s possible this role will shift and evolve, since I do a wide range of freelance work, but I’m a good communicator and will always ensure you are comfortable with any new tasks.
Please note that I do not require assistance with book editing, but if you are interested in editing books, I can provide some free advice and coaching as an additional incentive. Some business ideas I have are in the realm of the book publishing and creative writing industries, so it would be good to work with someone who loves books and publishing.
What skills and experience do you need to have for this position?
- Writing and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Marketing, web content writing and SEO skills would be advantageous
- A logical and clear communicator (you always address every line of the email that requires a response!)
- Reliable and responsive (within reason, of course)
- Strong initiative and you work well alone off a basic brief or instructions
- A familiarity with team communication tools such as Zoom, Slack, Trello, GCal, Google Docs, Calendly
- A familiarity with the back end of publishing tools like Substack, Medium, and WordPress
- Excellent time management: you’re a planner rather than a pantser
Other than that, there are no formal education or experience requirements for this position, but I would like to see an example of what you do or can do, whether that’s via LinkedIn, a word doc, a blog, etc. – up to you. Of course, I encourage people from all cultural backgrounds, genders, sexualities, abilities and ranges of experience to apply, and am particularly interested in providing opportunities to people in rural or regional Australia.
To express your interest, please email email@example.com by COB AEST 5pm Monday 19 July telling me a little about you, what you do, and why you would like this position, with a CV/LinkedIn link and a sample or portfolio (link is fine) of writing, editing or marketing work. Questions are welcome and I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner, but please be patient if I’m unable.
Please note that this page will be removed after the position is filled.